Technology has been a blessing to mankind, not merely because of what it has provided so far, but because of its infinite potential to serve humans in ways unimaginable. The one thing that makes technology so powerful is its capability to continuously evolve. As new ideas, innovations and gadgets come in, the old ones keep fading away, taking away with them all the old ways, habits and methods that we were once accustomed to.
One of the key areas where the application of technology never goes out of fashion is the advancement of infrastructure. With this realisation, we at Planet Smart City India aim to develop a new community (termed as community 5.0) where technology meets real estate to provide easy access to information, services, and systems. The smart communities we develop focus on enhancing living standards, protecting the environment, conserving resources and providing insightful data for better decision-making.
This article explores the concept of community 5.0, it’s uniqueness and what Planet Smart City is doing to make it a reality.
Concept of community 5.0
The development of infrastructure has a major influence on the evolution of communities. Therefore, in the light of infrastructural development, communities can be categorised into the following stages:
- Community 1.0 – In the ancient era, palaces, universities and residential homes across India were very advanced in the way they harnessed natural resources. After the Mohenjodaro and Indus valley civilization, the rise of empires and dynasties (Mughals, Rajput etc.) brought in the rock cut architecture that accommodated gathering spaces, verandas and monasteries where people of the same tradition, religion or community lived together. These houses were one to three-storeyed with courtyards in the center connected to a common drainage system.
- Community 2.0 – During colonial rule, a major shift in the evolution of housing started. This transition was marked by the adoption of bungalows or individual houses which had multiple rooms and provided for the basic need of water, electricity, bathrooms etc. These houses led to an increase in the formation of communities.
- Community 3.0 – The increase in trade and establishment of major port cities led to urbanisation. As more people moved to the cities, the demand for houses increased, leading to the development of apartment systems. These apartments primarily consist of three to five storeys with multiple towers, occupied by people from various communities.
- Community 4.0 – This is the current stage we live in. Post independence, a rapid rise in industrialization and liberalisation drove the entry of private sectors into real estate, leading to a massive development of townships and gated communities. These townships stand to accommodate more than 50 to 1000 families, providing facilities such as schools, markets, recreational spaces etc.
- Community 5.0 (the future of communities) – This stage envisions a tech-enabled community where the members (including residents and society managers) have access to all the society facilities we see around us (such as water and power supply management, daily household services management, security management) which are either automated or can be easily managed remotely with just a few clicks.
What makes community 5.0 unique is the fact that technology integration into real estate is not just restricted to benefit the residents, but it helps in cutting costs, saving resources and benefiting the environment and society as a whole.
At Planet Smart City, with the help of our 200 + property management solutions and two of our digital products, namely: Planet SIM (Smart Infrastructure Management: application for society management) and Planet App (application for residents), we enable the integration of smart technologies in housing societies to automate systems, save money, get real time data and make better, smarter and faster decisions.